Sunday, December 7, 2008

Yummy pork

Thursday night, we went out to a Chinese buffet. As we pulled into the parking lot, we noticed a very familiar-looking car. "Is that the rabbi's car?" I asked. Upon examination, we found a bumper sticker for Jewish summer camp. Yes, it was the rabbi's car.

Inside, the rabbi and his wife invited us to eat with them. We sat down at their table, ordered our drinks, and went to the buffet.

After we all had food, a steaming plate full of bacon is brought to our table. "Thank you," says the rabbi to the waiter. The partner and I must have looked surprised: "It's on the buffet at lunch," he explained. "I eat here a lot and they know I really like it."

I don't think anyone in our Reform congregation keeps strict kosher, but some follow modified versions - they don't keep separate utensils for dairy and meat, for example, but won't eat cheeseburgers. The rabbi, though? He's spiritual in other ways.

1 comment: