Saturday, December 27, 2008

Lifestyle changes

I'm going to be sick for longer than I thought: last night my doctor called to let me know I have lymphoma. The pear-sized tumor they found is directly under my breastbone; next week I'll have tests to see if the cancer has spread beyond that location.

Today the partner and I went to Target to start preparing for this. For the past week, I've been spending part of most nights on the couch, since it's not always comfortable for me to lay down: we bought memory foam to make the couch more restful. Three days ago, I started having drenching night sweats, waking up with my pajamas so soaked I have to change them: we bought more pajamas for me.

Being surrounded by loving and caring family, friends, and health care providers has helped mitigate my shock and fear at this diagnosis. At this time, that's all I could ask for.

4 comments:

Tausign said...

Grab hold of hope and embrace it. I shall offer prayers of petition for your complete recovery. Peace and all good.

Jen said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know what I can do to help. If you want some private yoga classes for stress relief, just ask.

lyrl said...

Thanks so much for the kind words.

I got good news today: my bone marrow biopsy was negative for cancer, and my doctor thinks the tumor in my chest is the only one. The PET scan did have an indication on one adrenal gland which we'll keep an eye on, but he thinks it's probably unrelated to the cancer.

I'll get a portacath installed on Friday and start chemotherapy on Monday. I'll have to see how I feel on the chemo, but right now occasional yoga classes sound fantastic.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Just sent you an email. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.