Saturday, April 5, 2008

Wow, you really are vegetarian

I became a lacto-ovo-vegetarian seven years ago. I'd been dating my partner for about a year, and before that we had cooked meat-containing meals together. And of course I'd helped my mom cook some while growing up. As part of becoming vegetarian, though, I generally don't cook meat anymore.

My partner sometimes cooks something for himself, although I'm usually not in the kitchen at the time. I happened to be there a few nights ago, and was half paying attention as he put together a soup based on a package of ramen noodles.

One of the things he added to the soup caught my attention: it was an orangey-color, and he had added quite a bit of it to the soup. It looked kind of fatty. Was it a kind of cheese or spread I didn't recognize? I poked it: pretty firm. Getting a better idea of the texture still wasn't ringing any bells for me. I turn to my partner and ask him what it was. He gives me a blank look, then says, "Chicken."

No comments: