Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I miss being musical

As far back as I can remember, playing the piano, singing in a choir, playing in a band or ensemble, and taking music lessons have been a big part of my life. Through church, middle school, high school, and college.

Well, I graduated five years ago. The congregation I attend now doesn't have a choir. I have felt like I can't possibly fit music lessons into my schedule. Many of the prayers in our worship service are sung, I enjoy participating in that, and have mostly avoided anything other than an occasional wistful thought that it would be nice to do more.

For a few months now, the cantor at our synagogue has had me playing djembe (a kind of drum) in some of the worship services. It has really awakened a desire in me to make playing and performing music a bigger part of my life. This reaction snuck up on me over these months, and has reached a surprising strength. So I'll be putting a lot of thought into making being musical a part of my life again.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Lyrl! I didn't realize you had a blog! (Or did I? If I did I apologize, I have no brain these days.) I've often thought I'd like to know more about your life since you always have the most insightful, interesting things to say over on my blog. I'm glad to have discovered yours (and your work with Wikipedia -- very interesting).

Anyway, just wanted to drop a note to say hello...and that I'm jealous of your musical skills. I love music but have zero talent in that department. What a wonderful calling.