Saturday, March 29, 2008

Writing into thin air

At work, I have two reports I put together every week, regarding some of the things I work on every day. They're part of a packet that gets distributed to the management team.

Last week, my boss told me they decided the packets were too thick. They wanted to focus on the information that most needed their attention, and one of my reports was no longer going to be included. They trusted me to keep this variable under control.

But I still have to make the report every week, just in case the owner wants to look at it every once in a while.

It was somewhat surreal making that report this week, knowing that in all likelihood, no one would ever look at. And next week I will overwrite that data with next week's report. Which will also, in all likelihood, never be looked at. It's only about ten minutes of my time each week, but what a bizarre way for my boss to order me to spend it.

No comments: